Thursday, August 26, 2010

Journal 1: Blast from the Past

Images: so many stories and so many memories. Looking at the image of “My Sunday Best” was a blast from the past for me. Working hard to buy nice clothes, the parents show pride in their children as they provide as best they can for Sundays.
This picture caught my attention at first glance. Why? I love old timey things, especially pictures because they tell stories. If I’m ever at anyone’s house and they have pictures on the wall or photo albums on the coffee table, it’s a guarantee that I’ll be looking at them. Growing up and going to church every Sunday, I always wore a dress, panty hose or lacy socks, and white or black shoes depending on the season, of course. My mom always wanted me and my sister to dress in our “Sunday best” so we hardly ever wore slacks. My mom was raised wearing her Sunday best to show respect, so wearing my Sunday best was a must.

This picture says more than just old-timey, genuinely happy, and church. It shows what they did to be able to dress like shown. You always see the old movies where the men and boys wear their nicest overalls, and the women and girls wear their prettiest dresses made with the finest cloth they can afford. Times were hard even before this picture was taken, but people still made sure that they saved money and took care of their new clothes that they worked so hard to buy. Saving them for special occasions, people took pride in dressing in their Sunday best. Being able to purchase new clothes shows evidence of a person’s hard work. Knowing that a person’s hard work paid off will always make them appreciate whatever they own or even do.

Wearing your “Sunday best” does show respect. It’s not to impress other members of the church, but rather to look nice as if Jesus was sitting right beside you, even if it does take effort to be able to wear that pretty dress with the cutest handbag.


Grubb, Johnny. My Sunday Best. Photograph. Found Magazine. 26 July 2005. Web. .

No comments: